I’ve had several people ask me for my Greek Egg Lemon Soup recipe, aka Avgolemono Soup (Pronounced uh-voh-lemon-oh). This might be my absolute favorite soup! This recipe is the base for whatever you want to add to it. Once you make the base, you can add pasta, white rice or brown rice. You can also add chicken if you want more protein. You’ll be surprised by how easy this soup is to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
8 Cups Homemade or “Good” Chicken Stock (Don’t use store brand. I used Emeril’s, but there are tons out there)
2 Lemons, juiced
2 Eggs, separated
Optional: Orzo, Pasta, Rice, Chicken
1. Heat the chicken stock in a large pot, until it starts to simmer.
*If you want to add orzo, you can add 1/2 cup uncooked orzo at this point and cook it right in the stock. No need to drain it.*
2. Meanwhile, separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Add the yolks to the whites and beat until combined.
4. Juice the 2 lemons. Add the lemon juice to the egg mixture and beat well.
5. Take one cup of the hot chicken stock and slowly add it to the egg mixture, while mixing at the same time. Then take one more cup of hot chicken stock and mix it in the egg mixture.
*This is done to temper the mixture. If you added the egg mixture to the hot chicken stock all at once, the egg mixture would scramble.*
6. Now add the egg mixture to the large pot of chicken stock.
*A layer of froth will form on the top of the soup. This is a true characteristic of traditional Avgolemono soup*
7. When serving the soup you can add in your chicken or whatever you’d like.
*I bought a precooked chicken and plan on adding some shredded chicken to the soup.*