One of my biggest pet peeves for recipes is that most are not tested. I’ve mentioned this before in other posts, but it’s true. I tried this recipe and wasn’t pleased at all when I first made it. The taste was still great, but I had to tweak it a bit. Thankfully my coworkers were good sports and allowed me to try again and let me know what they thought. The second batch was much better. They were easier to cut and to handle. The first batch was too messy and fudgy.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars
1 1/4 Cups Peanut Butter
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2 Sticks Butter, melted
16 oz. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
2 lb. bag of Small Pretzels (reserve 2 cups for the topping)
1. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick spray. Put handfuls of pretzels in a food processor until they are completely ground. Do this until you have 2 cups of ground pretzels. If you don’t have a food processor, just put them in a gallon zip lock bag and smash them with a pan until they are ground.
2. Combine 1 cup peanut butter, melted butter, powdered sugar, and 2 cups of ground pretzels in a large bowl and mix until combined. Add 1 cup of broken pretzel pieces to the mixture as well.
3. Press this mixture into the bottom of the 9×13 inch pan.
4. Melt the chocolate and 1/4 cup peanut butter in a microwave. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. Just heat it at 20-30 second intervals until melted.
5. Spread the melted chocolate in the pan, over the peanut butter mixture.
6. Take the 2 cups of pretzels and break them into smaller pieces over the chocolate.
7. Let the bars set in the refrigerator a couple of hours to set.