It’s the most wonderful time of year! Pumpkin time! Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin pie, pumpkin coffee, ….
I have to thank Paula Deen for these pumpkin bars…bless her heart! Despite her use of excessive amounts of butter and mayonnaise, I think that she has some really great, easy to follow recipes. These bars are also very “light” and airy and don’t have a overly strong pumpkin flavor. Just enough!
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until blended. (Mixture may seem soupy)
3. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth.
5. Spread the batter into a greased 9×13-inch baking pan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.
To make the icing:
1. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
2. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined.
3. Stir in the vanilla and mix again.
4. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.
Make sure bars are completely cool before frosting! Cut into desired sized bars!