I haven’t posted for a while, but I’m back now. I was inspired this past week to make a new recipe. This recipe comes from a friend’s sister’s husband’s Italian grandmother. Translation- a sure thing!! Family recipes are nearly always amazing and full of flavor. This recipe was truly that!
After making the cookies, a group of us did a cookie “throw down”. We compared this recipe to one from Mike’s Pastry and one from Modern Pastry, both located in the North End of Boston. It was no surprise that this recipe won!
Italian Rainbow Cookies
1 can 12oz Solo almond filling
1 cup soft butter (2 sticks)
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks, 4 egg whites
2 cups flour
Seedless raspberry jam
Red and Green food coloring
Melted Milk Chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 3 8×8 pans well. (You can also use 9×9 pans).
2. Mix soft butter, almond filling, sugar, and egg YOLKS.
3. Add flour and mix well.
4. In separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
5. Add to mixture and fold in.
6. Divide into 3 bowls. Use red food coloring for one, green for the other and leave the last one plain.
7. Spread evenly in pans. Bake 12-15 minutes until edges are brown and center is dry.
8. Let cool. Put raspberry jam on green, white on top, then apricot jam, and then red layer on top.
9. Top with plastic wrap. Put books or a heavy pan on top and weigh down overnight.
10. Next day, cut the edges to make them even. Then melt chocolate, spread on top, cool, then cut and serve.