One of my favorite Italian desserts is tiramisu. It has two of my favorite ingredients; espresso and marscarpone cheese. This dessert is relatively easy to make and the best part is that it involves no baking. My mom gave me this recipe and I love it!
16 oz. Marscarpone Cheese
4 Eggs (Use organic if you can)
1/3 cup Sugar, plus 3 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 cups Espresso, brewed and cooled
1 tbsp Kahlua
1 package Italian lady fingers (I used Savoiardi brand)
Dark chocolate, optional
1. Brew the espresso and cool to room temperature.
2. Separate the eggs. Place the egg whites in one bowl and the yolks in another. Do not get any yolk in the bowl with the egg whites, otherwise the recipe won’t work.
3. Beat the egg whites and 3 tbsp sugar together until they’re the consistency of meringue. They should form stiff peaks when you pull the mixer out of the bowl.
4. Beat the the yolks with 1/3 cup sugar until it doubles in size. This can take about 5 minutes. Continue mixing and add in the kahlua.
5. Add the marscarpone cheese to the yolk mixture.
6. Slowly fold the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture.
7. Use a 9×13 inch pan to assemble the tiramisu. Dip each ladyfinger into a bowl of espresso. Dunk them completely for one second and then line them up in the pan to form a single layer.
8. Cover the ladyfingers with half of the cheese/egg mixture.
9. Repeat with a second layer of espresso dunked ladyfingers and cover with the remaining cheese/egg mixture.
10. Dust the top with cocoa and shaved chocolate.
This dessert is best served the next day. It must be kept in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving so that it’s completely chilled.