I recently made this recipe…and then I made it again! Paula Deen once again proved to create a great recipe. Once I made the monkey bread, I was able to make a few adjustments. I also shared it with my coworkers both times and as always, got great critiques to help me make it perfect!
This is a great recipe for Christmas morning. It’s an easy recipe with basic ingredients. You can even get your kids involved to help make it. Paula Deen calls this recipe “Gorilla Bread” but I think that sounds odd, so I’m just going to stick with the familiar “Monkey Bread” name.
1/3 Cup Sugar
3 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 Stick Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
8 oz Block of Cream Cheese
2 (12-ounce) Cans Refrigerated Biscuits (10 count) I used Pillsbury Buttermilk, Flaky
1 Cup Walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mix 1/3 cup sugar with cinnamon and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat until melted and blended and then set aside.
4. Cut the block of cream cheese into 20 cubes.
5. Flatten the biscuits with your hands and pour about 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar into the center of the biscuit. Then place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit. Wrap and seal the dough around the cream cheese.
6. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Place half of the prepared biscuits into the pan. Sprinkle some of the cinnamon sugar on the biscuits. Then pour half of the melted butter over the biscuits.
7. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The biscuits should be puffed and almost reach the top of your bundt pan.
9. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Place a plate on top and flip over.
*This can be served warm, right out of the oven, or made the night before being served. It does not have to be refrigerated.
*Also, I used dark brown sugar for this recipe because it’s the only kind that I had. You can use light brown sugar instead, it won’t make much difference at all. You can also use any kind of refrigerated biscuits. The first time I made it, I could only find the Fluffy honey butter biscuits and it still tasted great!